No one likes fees and we are no exception but marching band is an extracurricular activity and although the school corporation provides some funding, they do not provide enough. To cover the difference we have a booster organization called the Royal Guardians that is a non-profit which does fundraisers and manages student fees. Some important facts to know about our fees:
Even though we impact the lives of more than any other extracurricular activity in the school, the school corp only covers about 1/3 of the costs of marching band.
Our biggest single cost each year is staff. We typically have 10-15 directors and tech staff on the field to give the students personal attention from specialists who know their instrument or skill.
The fees are set each year as low as possible to cover our costs after we have an estimate of the number of students participating and how much the school system is willing to contribute. This is usually in April. In previous years the fees have been approximately $500. We often have discounts such as a lower cost for siblings but these are decided each season as we set the fees.
The good news is that we have many parents who have paid little or no money out of pocket to have their children participate by using some of the programs listed below.
If a family has a financial situation that will make it difficult to cover the cost of band, please contact our board at email@example.com and we will work with you to find a way for your child to participate.
Paying for activities using our fee assistance programs
We try to provide as many ways as possible to pay your student fees through programs that generate credits in your student account. We have families that cover 100% of their band fees with nothing out of pocket after the first year (it is often hard to accumulate enough fee assistance funds in time to cover first year expenses). For more information about ways to cover band fees you can look here.
What is covered by our fees
- Technical staff and instructors
- Drill Design
- Music Arrangement
- Entry Fees for Competitions
- Black RCG Vneck your first year (for new marchers)
- Play March Roar parade shirt (for new marchers)
- Equipment and repairs
- Uniform Maintenance and Repair
- Guard Uniforms
- Guard Flags
- Food for before football games, Snacks at Band Camp, Family Gathering Cookout
- Fuel for Tractor for Trailer
What is not covered by our fees
- Marching Shoes - New shoes $45 (not needed each year).
- Bibber Hemming – If bibbers need hemmed there is a $10 charge
- Guard Warm Ups - New Color Guard Members: Shoes- $28, Extra Gloves- $15, Undergarment- $20, Warm-up- Jacket> $39, Bottoms> $20. Rifle (if needed) - $35
- Black RCG V-Neck T-Shirt - The first shirt is included. If an additional or replacement shirt is needed, there will be a $8 charge. All members will be required to wear their black RCG t-shirt under their uniform at every performance.
- Socks - Every RCG Marching Band member will be required to wear black socks for competition. These need to be crew type black socks. If black socks are needed, there will be a $3.00 charge per pair.
- Extra Gloves - The first pair of gloves is included. If additional or replacement gloves are needed they will be a charge of $3.00.
- Spirit Wear
- Student Show Shirts
- Additional Play March Roar parade shirts after the first one given to new marchers
The Fine Print...
- There is a $50 sibling discount for every child after your first child that a family has in marching band in any given season.
- Payments can be made via credit card on the website for no additional charge or via check by depositing it in the dropbox in the high school bandroom.
- A $30 NSF (non-sufficient funds) charge will be assessed on all returned checks.
- The Guardians does not do "collections" in that we do not have staff to call people who have not paid their fees. We will send email reminders and if needed send a statement home with your child but unfortunately if fees are not paid the student will not be allowed to practice.
- Anyone having difficulty paying fees on time must contact the Student Accounts Treasurer to understand your options. We NEVER want a child to miss out for financial reasons. We have several ways that a family can raise the funds to pay as well as a fee assistance program that can help families.
- Generally fees are non-refundable. If you cannot finish the season due to an injury, you may be entitled to a refund the amount of which is decided on a case by case basis by the Royal Guardians Board
- Students much participate in parade camp to be in the rest of the marching band season